These embroidered wedding towels are one of those projects for me.
I stitched them many years ago for my own wedding ceremony, and even today they remain one of the most meaningful pieces I have ever embroidered.
A Tradition I Was Proud to Continue
In the Orthodox Church, there is a beautiful tradition of decorating wedding icons with embroidered towels during the wedding ceremony.
As an Orthodox Christian, I always knew I wanted to create my own.
But I also wanted them to tell a family story.
Instead of choosing a modern design, I carefully copied the pattern from an old towel that my grandmother had embroidered many years before.
Knowing that her stitches inspired mine made this project feel even more special.
In a small way, it became a bridge between generations.
Flowers From Home
The design is simple but deeply meaningful to me.
It features cross-stitched flowers that are typical of the countryside where I grew up, surrounded by delicate decorative details.
Near the center, two small birds face one another.
To me, they have always symbolized love, partnership, and the beginning of a shared journey.
It felt like the perfect motif for a wedding.
Two Towels, Two Color Stories
Although both towels share the same traditional pattern, I embroidered each one with a different color palette.One combines rich blue with black.
The other is stitched in deep red and black.
The contrast gives each towel its own character while preserving the harmony of the pair.
Materials I Love for Cross Stitch
Projects that carry special memories deserve materials that will last for years.
Here are a few supplies similar to those I enjoy using for traditional embroidery.
Cotton embroidery floss - https://amzn.to/4h9KBeA
Cross stitch needles - https://amzn.to/4phyEFG
Linen fabric - https://amzn.to/4guhnHc
Magnetic needle minder - https://amzn.to/4ynhlaI
Embroidery scissors - https://amzn.to/4wFTOzX
More Than Embroidery
Looking back, I realize these towels were never just about creating something beautiful.
They became part of one of the happiest days of my life.
Every stitch reminds me not only of my wedding, but also of my grandmother, whose embroidery quietly inspired my own hands many years later.
That is one of the things I love most about handmade traditions.
They connect generations in ways that words sometimes cannot.
Final Thoughts
There are embroidery projects that decorate a home.
And then there are projects that become part of a family's story.
These wedding towels will always remind me where my inspiration began—with my grandmother, her needle, and a pattern lovingly stitched long before I was old enough to understand its meaning.
Now, every time I look at them, I see much more than cross stitches.
I see tradition, family, faith, and the quiet beauty of creating something by hand that will be treasured for years to come.
Affiliate Disclosure
Some links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue sharing helpful embroidery guides and recommendations.
Some of my embroidery and handmade lifestyle photos are available for licensing on Adobe Stock




Продолжение семейных традиций это так здорово и очень важно.
ReplyDeleteЯ тоже так считаю!
DeleteМм...
ReplyDeleteНастоящие Птицы Счастья!
Птицы Счастья в Райском саду)))
DeleteКрасота какая! Желаю удачи в конкурсе!
ReplyDeleteСпасибо за пожелание!!! Главное не победа, главное участие:-)
ReplyDeleteДевять лет! Вроде бы и не много, в то же время и не мало! Семья - это здорово!)) Когда всё вместе и все вместе)) Очень понравились птички, кажется, видела роспись в таком стиле.
ReplyDeleteСпасибо за участие в конфетке-галерее!
И птенчик - желтенький комочек, и яйцо "фаберже" из предыдущего поста тоже супер!
С прошедшим праздником!))
Шапку блога приукрасила? Нравится, что не интернетовская картинка, а своя, и цветочек тоже свой))
DeleteОтличная идея конфетки-галлереи! Спасибо, за похвалу)
ReplyDeleteЗахотелось изменить что-нибудь в блоге, посидела в фотошопе и научилась менять шапку! Так собой горжусь!!!
Очень красиво, обожаю такие национальные мотивы:)
ReplyDeleteСпасибо, Мария! Рада Вас видеть у себя в гостях)))
Delete