Sometimes children come up with the sweetest ideas.
One autumn, when the weather started getting cooler, I thought it was finally time for hats.
But my daughter had a completely different idea.
"I don't want a hat," she said. "Can you make me earmuffs instead?"
And that simple request became the beginning of this handmade project.
An Unexpectedly Warm Autumn
That year, the weather surprised us.
The end of September was actually warmer than the beginning of the month.
It felt like autumn wasn't quite ready to arrive. During the day, it was still warm enough to walk without a hat, but the cool breeze reminded us that summer was slowly coming to an end.
Earmuffs seemed like the perfect solution — warm enough to protect little ears without feeling too heavy.
A Little Pink Owl
I could have made simple earmuffs…
But where is the fun in that?
Instead, I decided to turn them into a cheerful little pink owl.
The earmuffs were sewn from soft fleece, making them warm, lightweight, and comfortable to wear.
The owl itself was created as a felt appliqué, with every small detail carefully cut out and stitched in place.
The result was both practical and playful — just right for a little girl.
How They Were Made
Inside each side of the earmuffs, I placed a plastic lid to help keep the shape.
Both sides were attached to a simple plastic headband, creating a lightweight but sturdy base.
Once the construction was finished, I covered everything with soft fleece and decorated the front with the owl appliqué.
I love projects like this because they combine several techniques in one piece — a little sewing, a little crafting, and plenty of imagination.
Sometimes ordinary household items become the perfect materials for a handmade project.
The Best Kind of Inspiration
One of the things I enjoy most about making handmade gifts for my children is that every project starts with their ideas.
A simple conversation can become a completely new design.
This little owl was created because my daughter wanted something different from everyone else.
And I love that handmade projects give us the freedom to make those ideas come true.
The Best Review
When the earmuffs were finished, there was only one opinion that really mattered.
My daughter loved them.
Seeing her smile and happily wear something made especially for her was the best reward I could have received.
Those moments remind me why I love creating handmade things.
Materials Used
For this project I used:
soft pink fleece;
felt for the owl appliqué;
plastic headband;
plastic lids to create the base;
sewing thread;
fabric scissors;
sewing supplies.
Craft Supplies I Love
For similar sewing and craft projects, you can find useful supplies here:
→ soft fleece fabric - https://amzn.to/4fqokqy
→ felt sheets for appliqué - https://amzn.to/4vGkrUA
→ fabric scissors - https://amzn.to/4wr2jiD
→ sewing accessories - https://amzn.to/4b0HFg
Everything I use for my handmade projects can be found in my Amazon Idea List - https://amzn.to/3RaDrwm
My Cozy Craft Corner
Many of my favorite handmade ideas begin with a quiet evening.
A basket filled with fabrics, a warm cup of tea, soft lighting, and a little inspiration are often all I need to start creating.
It is amazing how simple materials can become something that makes a child smile.
Final Thoughts
This little pink owl began with one simple request:
"Can you make me earmuffs instead of a hat?"
A piece of fleece, a felt appliqué, and a little imagination later, that idea became one of my favorite handmade projects.
Looking back, I realize that the projects I treasure most are not always the most complicated ones.
They are the ones made with love, inspired by family, and filled with happy memories.
Affiliate Disclosure
Some links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue sharing helpful guides and recommendations.
Some of my embroidery and handmade lifestyle photos are available for licensing on Adobe Stock






Обработка фоток классная :)
ReplyDeleteСпасибо!!! Попробуй, ссылочку я дала, проще чем фотошоп. А мой фотик ты знаешь(
DeleteНаташ))) привет)) Наушники суперские))) отличная работа))) дачка милашечка)) фоточки тоже классные, забегу по ссылке)) спасибо)
ReplyDeleteПривет, Женя))) Спасибо эа приятный отзыв)))
DeleteуХам теперь и тепло - и красиво)) Совы рулят! Придумала же как интересно!!!
ReplyDeleteКоллажи нравится делать здесь http://www.fotokomok.ru/collage-online/collages.php
И уХи такие довольные ходят))) Спасибо, Люда!!!
DeleteБлагодарю за ссылочку! Обязательно как-нибудь загляну.
Отличные наушники, придумано на самом деле оригинально! И фотографии красиво оформлены, а последняя - просто очарование!
ReplyDeleteСпасибо, Женя! так приятно)))
DeleteСупер!!! Такие прикольные!!! Фото очень позитивные!!!
ReplyDeleteСпасибо, Катя)))
DeleteКлассная вещь! И самое главное - теплая!
ReplyDeleteОля, спасибо!!! Тёпленькие и удобные получились)
Delete