I don't like the cold.
My nose gets freezing, my fingers stop cooperating, and I start dreaming about sunshine almost immediately.
I'm definitely a warm-weather person.
Sometimes I even think that people who live in warmer countries must be happier. More sunshine, more time outside, fewer layers of clothing…
Sounds pretty good to me.
But this winter has been a little unusual.
We didn't get a single snowflake.
Not one.
Before Christmas, we were still hoping for snow and imagining a proper winter landscape.
Now?
I think we've officially stopped waiting.
Because we have snowdrops instead.
When Spring Finds Its Way into Winter
Seeing those tiny flowers outside was such a lovely surprise.
There is something almost magical about snowdrops.
They look so delicate, but somehow they are brave enough to appear when the weather is still cold and everything around them looks gray and sleepy.
And, of course, I immediately wanted to bring that feeling into my embroidery.
So I started stitching snowdrops.
Cross stitch, one little stitch at a time.
From Garden to Embroidery
I love when something I see in everyday life suddenly becomes an idea for a handmade project.
A flower by the side of the road.
A particular color in the garden.
The shape of a leaf.
The light coming through a window.
Sometimes inspiration doesn't need to be searched for.
It simply appears.
These snowdrops were exactly that kind of inspiration.
I saw them outside and thought:
I want to stitch these.
And so I did.
A Little Bit of Spring on My Hoop
There is something especially satisfying about stitching flowers that are actually blooming outside.
The real snowdrops are telling me that spring is coming.
My embroidery is doing the same thing — just a little more slowly.
For now, I'm enjoying watching the design grow stitch by stitch.
And perhaps this is the best way for someone who doesn't like winter to get through the last cold days:
Bring a little spring into your craft room.
My Cozy Crafting Moment
Cold weather may not be my favorite, but it does have one advantage.
It gives us a good excuse to stay inside with a cup of tea and a needle in our hands.
A little embroidery.
Something warm to drink.
A good series in the background.
And the thought that somewhere outside, tiny snowdrops are already getting ready for spring.
That's not such a bad way to spend a winter afternoon.
On My Craft Table
If these little snowdrops have inspired you to pick up your needle too, I've gathered some of the basic supplies I use for cross stitch.
Embroidery floss - https://amzn.to/4qv1XoW
Cross stitch needles - https://amzn.to/4hUSYvf
Embroidery hoop - https://amzn.to/4zvdxol
White embroidery fabric - https://amzn.to/4qR0YQp
Small embroidery scissors - https://amzn.to/4qHbbi3
You can find my favorite embroidery supplies together in my Amazon Idea List.
A Book for a Quiet Evening
Lately, I've also been reading Jack London's The Star Rover.
I have to admit, it wasn't the easiest book for me to read. Some parts required a little more concentration than I expected, and I had to slow down and really get into the story.
But I'm glad I kept reading.
The book is unusual, thought-provoking, and stayed in my mind even after I put it down. I wouldn't call it a light or effortless read, but I enjoyed it precisely because it made me think.
So if you're looking for something a little more substantial to read during a quiet evening with your embroidery, The Star Rover might be worth adding to your reading list.
Jack London's The Star Rover in Amazon - https://amzn.to/3SlfqDm
Final Thoughts
I may never become a fan of cold weather.
I'll still choose sunshine whenever I can.
But seeing those first snowdrops made me smile.
Maybe spring doesn't always arrive with warm temperatures and sunny skies.
Sometimes it begins with a few tiny white flowers quietly appearing in the grass.
And sometimes it begins with a needle, a piece of fabric, and a few cross stitches.
For me, this year, spring arrived both ways.
Happy stitching!
Affiliate Disclosure
Some links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue sharing helpful embroidery guides, creative inspiration, and handmade lifestyle content.
Some of my embroidery and handmade lifestyle photos are available for licensing on Adobe Stock.









No comments:
Post a Comment