Tuesday, June 23, 2026

The Herringbone Stitch: One of My Favorite Ways to Fill Embroidery Shapes

There are some embroidery stitches I use almost without thinking.

And then there are stitches that make me slow down for a moment because I simply enjoy watching them take shape.

The herringbone stitch is definitely one of those.

At first glance it looks delicate and a little intricate, but once you understand the rhythm, it becomes surprisingly relaxing to stitch. I often use it when I want to add texture without making an area feel too heavy.

herringbone stitch embroidery on linen fabric


Why I Love the Herringbone Stitch

One of the things I appreciate most about this stitch is its versatility.

It creates a beautiful crisscross pattern that works equally well as a decorative border or as a light, airy filling stitch.

Unlike satin stitch, which completely covers the fabric, herringbone stitch allows a little of the linen to show through. I love that softer, more delicate look, especially in botanical embroidery.


How to Work the Herringbone Stitch

The stitch is worked between two imaginary parallel lines.

Instead of stitching straight across, each stitch crosses diagonally to the opposite side, creating the familiar woven pattern.

The secret isn't stitching quickly—it's keeping the spacing as even as possible.

After a few stitches, you'll notice the rhythm develop naturally.

Step 1

Bring your needle up on the left guideline.

Insert it diagonally across to the opposite line, then bring the needle back up a short distance behind the previous stitch.

herringbone stitch tutorial step one

herringbone stitch tutorial step one


Step 2

Repeat the same movement on the opposite side.

Each new stitch crosses over the previous one, creating the signature herringbone pattern.

Don't worry if your first few stitches aren't perfectly even. Like most embroidery stitches, this one becomes easier with practice.

herringbone stitch tutorial step two

herringbone stitch tutorial step two


Step 3

Continue alternating from one side to the other until you reach the end of your shape or border.

Try to keep the stitches similar in length and angle for the most balanced result.

completed herringbone embroidery border


Using Herringbone Stitch as a Filling Stitch

One of my favorite ways to use this stitch is for filling leaves.

Instead of covering the fabric completely, the crossed stitches create a light texture that almost resembles tiny veins inside the leaf.

It also works beautifully for petals, hearts, circles, and other simple shapes.

For larger areas, I like placing the stitches a little closer together to create a fuller appearance.

leaf filled with herringbone stitch

leaf filled with herringbone stitch

leaf filled with herringbone stitch


Add an Outline for Extra Texture

If you'd like a more finished look, try outlining your filled shape.

A simple stem stitch works beautifully, but one of my favorite combinations is herringbone stitch with a heavy chain stitch outline.

The contrast between the open filling and the textured border creates a lovely handmade look.

embroidered leaf with herringbone stitch and chain stitch outline


Watch the Herringbone Stitch in Action

Sometimes it's easier to understand a stitch when you can actually see the needle moving.

I've included a short video below where I demonstrate the herringbone stitch step by step. Watching the rhythm of the stitches makes it much easier to follow along, especially if you're trying this technique for the first time.

Whether you're stitching a simple border or filling a leaf with delicate texture, I hope this video helps you feel more confident picking up your needle and giving it a try.


Supplies I Use for Stitch Practice

If you want a simple embroidery shopping checklist, here’s the full list again:

Amazon Heat Erasable Pen: https://amzn.to/4txhg0e

Amazon Linen Fabric for Embroidery: https://amzn.to/4ntzI8K  

Amazon Embroidery Hoops : https://amzn.to/4fi4bEA 

Amazon Embroidery Floss Set: https://amzn.to/4dJKm71

Amazon Embroidery Needles Set: https://amzn.to/4nsqPME 

Amazon Embroidery Scissors: https://amzn.to/4eJfs0C

 I personally use and love all the items I linked in this post. And you see it for yourself.


Final Thoughts

One of the reasons I enjoy embroidery so much is that every stitch has its own personality.

The herringbone stitch feels light, elegant, and just a little bit vintage. It's simple enough for beginners, yet beautiful enough to become a favorite for experienced stitchers too.

If you've never tried it before, I hope this little tutorial encourages you to pick up your hoop and give it a try.

Sometimes learning just one new stitch is enough to inspire an entirely new embroidery project.


Affiliate Disclosure

Some links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue sharing helpful embroidery guides and recommendations.


Some of my embroidery and handmade lifestyle photos are available for licensing on Adobe Stock



No comments:

Post a Comment