I think fall has officially arrived.
Since September 1, the rain has barely stopped. The kind of weather that makes you want to curl up under a blanket, just like our cat, and take a very long nap.
Unfortunately, there is always something to do.
So when the weather turns gray, I like to reach for something colorful.
Today, I'm bringing a little bit of summer back with four ribbon bows I made during the last warm days of the season.
A Little Ribbon-Making Happiness
I have to admit, I had so much fun making these bows.
There is something wonderfully satisfying about working with ribbons — choosing the colors, combining different widths, adding little details, and watching a simple piece of ribbon turn into something completely new.
One bow quickly became two.
Then three.
And somehow, there was a fourth one.
Bow No. 1
The first bow was the simplest of the bunch.
Bright, cheerful, and easy to wear.
It didn't stay with me for long. I made it for Masha, my coworker's daughter, and it soon found its way to her new home.
I love when something handmade leaves my craft room and becomes part of someone else's everyday life.
Bow No. 2
The second one had a special little destination too.
This bow went to my goddaughter, Angelina.
Making handmade accessories for little girls is especially fun. There is no need to be too serious about color or style — the brighter and happier, the better.
Bow No. 3
And then there was the third bow.
This one was supposed to leave the house too.
But Dasha saw it.
And immediately decided that it belonged to her.
So much for my plans. 😊
When your daughter loves something you've made, it's hard to argue.
This one stayed home
Bow No. 4: A Little School Style
The last bow was made especially for school.
For this one, I wanted something a little more classic and understated, so I went with a simple, slightly English-inspired look.
And the best part?
It actually gets worn to school.
No special occasion. No waiting in a craft box.
Just a handmade bow doing exactly what it was made to do.
Honestly, that's one of the best things that can happen to something handmade.
Materials I Used
The nice thing about ribbon bows is that you don't need a huge collection of supplies.
For these bows, I used:
Grosgrain ribbons in different colors and widths
Ribbon for creating the individual bow layers
Elastic hair ties
Sharp scissors
A hot glue gun and glue sticks
Small decorative elements, depending on the design
If you're making ribbon bows for the first time, I would start with a few ribbons in colors you already love.
You can always add more later.
A Few Things I've Learned
Making bows is one of those crafts where the small details matter.
The width of the ribbon changes the whole look.
The way you layer the ribbons changes the shape.
And sometimes a combination that looks strange on the table turns out beautifully once the bow is finished.
I don't try to make every bow exactly the same.
That's part of the fun.
A handmade accessory doesn't have to look factory-perfect.
It just has to make you happy when you look at it.
My Cozy Craft Corner
Ribbon projects are especially nice for a quiet afternoon.
I like having all the colors spread out on the table, choosing combinations, and letting the design develop as I work.
Add a cup of tea, some good music, and a little natural light — and suddenly a rainy afternoon doesn't seem quite so gloomy.
Craft Supplies for Ribbon Bows
If you'd like to make your own ribbon hair accessories, I've collected some useful supplies below.
Grosgrain ribbon - https://amzn.to/4wOmoj5
Ribbon for hair bows - https://amzn.to/4bsHQl6
Elastic hair ties - https://amzn.to/4z3sptV
Alligator hair clips - https://amzn.to/4fSdnhM
Mini hot glue gun - https://amzn.to/4yXCOqG
Hot glue sticks - https://amzn.to/4wDqtqd
Craft scissors - https://amzn.to/4wq1Oop
Everything for This Project in One Place
If you'd like to try making ribbon bows yourself, I've put the supplies for this project together in one place.
You can find everything for this project in my Amazon Idea List.
A Little More Color for a Gray Day
Looking at these bright ribbons has already lifted my mood.
It's still raining outside.
Our cat is probably still dreaming about his next nap.
And summer is definitely over.
But I don't mind keeping a little piece of it around.
A few colorful ribbons, some happy memories, and a handmade project are sometimes all it takes to make a gray day feel a little brighter.
And maybe that's one of my favorite things about crafting.
You can make something with your hands today — and keep the feeling of that sunny summer day long after the season is gone.
So, yes...
It may be raining.
But things are already looking a little brighter.
Affiliate Disclosure
Some links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue sharing helpful embroidery guides, creative inspiration, and handmade lifestyle content.
Some of my embroidery and handmade lifestyle photos are available for licensing on Adobe Stock.






Ах, какие яркие, действительно летние и позитивные!
ReplyDeleteСпасибо, Галинка! Для девчонок - только яркое)))
DeleteКрасота то какая))) а я все не научусь из репсовых ленточек делать....Все такое радужное, аж настроение поднялось, а то осень со своей погодкой иногда приносит грусть и тоску)))))
ReplyDeleteОлеся, спасибо! Зато ты умеешь обалденное канзаши делать, а это посложнее будет))) А я не умею.
DeleteНаташ, я всегда балдею от твоих бантиков. Они такие позитивные. Просто класс!!!
ReplyDeleteСпасибо, Катя! Мне очень приятно)))
DeleteОй как интересно!!! Такие яркие и красочные!!! Отлично получилось))) У нас тоже погодка хмурая и холодная, так что красочные фото подняли настроение)))
ReplyDeleteВсе бантики красивые, а номер три просто обалденно - красивый! И цвет такой нежно - голубой, и бабочка...
ReplyDelete