Sometimes the smallest discoveries make embroidery so much easier.
When I started working with detailed embroidery designs, transferring the pattern onto fabric was always one of the most challenging steps. Drawing directly on fabric is not always easy, especially when the design has many small details.
That is when I discovered water soluble stabilizer.
This simple embroidery tool completely changed my approach to working with patterns.
What Is Water Soluble Stabilizer?
Water soluble stabilizer is a thin embroidery material that can be placed directly on top of your fabric.
You can print your embroidery pattern onto it, attach it to the fabric, and stitch through both layers.
After the embroidery is finished, the stabilizer disappears when you gently wash or rinse the project with water.
What remains is only your beautiful embroidery.
It is especially helpful for:
detailed embroidery designs;
small lettering;
delicate floral patterns;
projects where tracing directly onto fabric is difficult.
Why I Love This Method
For this project, I used a simple floral design inspired by tiny blue forget-me-not flowers.
I wanted the embroidery to feel light and delicate, so I chose a soft blue color palette.
The printed stabilizer helped me keep the shape and placement of every flower, while still allowing the embroidery to look natural and handmade.
Embroidery Stitches I Used
This little flower design combines several of my favorite embroidery stitches.
Lazy Daisy Stitch
The petals of the flowers were created using Lazy Daisy Stitch.
This stitch is perfect for small flowers because it creates soft, simple petals with just a few movements of the needle.
French Knots
The centers of the flowers were made with French Knots.
I love how these tiny raised details add texture and make the flowers look more alive.
Satin Stitch
The leaves were embroidered with Satin Stitch.
By changing the direction and length of the stitches, you can create a smoother and more natural shape.
Bullion Knots
For the small flower buds, I used Bullion Knots.
They look complicated at first, but with a little practice they become one of the most beautiful dimensional embroidery stitches.
Couching Stitch
The stems were created with Couching Stitch.
This technique allows you to place a thicker thread or decorative line on the fabric and secure it with small stitches.
It adds a lovely textured detail to floral designs.
Watch the Full Embroidery Process
I recorded the complete process of creating this embroidery, including how I used the water soluble stabilizer and worked each stitch.
You can watch the video here:
On My Craft Table
These are a few of the supplies that helped bring this project to life.
For this embroidery, I've collected everything in one place—from needles and threads to the cozy accessories on my craft table.
Browse the collection below - https://amzn.to/4gZz2qC
For this embroidery I used:
water soluble stabilizer - https://amzn.to/3TrfUb6
linen fabric - https://amzn.to/3TmsSHa
embroidery floss - https://amzn.to/4fsISi0
embroidery needle - https://amzn.to/4bPz40D
embroidery hoop - https://amzn.to/4wiUMCq
Around My Craft Table
Small details make creative time even more enjoyable.
For a quiet embroidery evening, I love adding little comforts:
a warm cup of tea;
a beautiful mug;
a soft candle scent;
a cozy corner with good lighting;
a favorite show playing in the background.
Cozy Craft Room Favorites - https://amzn.to/44RP5PP
A Cozy Series to Watch While Stitching
After finishing All Creatures Great and Small, I immediately started watching The Durrells… and once again, I found myself completely caught up in another wonderful series.
I think I have a weakness for shows with beautiful scenery, warm characters, and a slower pace of life.
The Durrells tells the story of the Durrell family, who leave England and begin a new chapter of their lives on the beautiful island of Corfu.
I love the atmosphere of this series — the sunshine, nature, family adventures, humor, and those simple everyday moments that make you feel calm and happy.
There is something very comforting about creating something with your hands while watching a story unfold on the screen.
For me, embroidery is not only about the finished project. It is also about these small rituals — choosing floss, making a cup of tea, finding a cozy corner, and enjoying the process.
Watch it on Amazon Prime Video → https://amzn.to/4wrVXzF
Final Thoughts
Water soluble stabilizer is one of those simple embroidery tools that makes the creative process easier and more enjoyable.
It gives you the freedom to try more detailed designs without worrying about transferring every tiny line perfectly.
For me, embroidery is always a combination of creativity and calm moments — choosing colors, learning new stitches, and slowly watching a design come to life.
Sometimes a small tool can open the door to completely new possibilities.
Happy stitching!
Affiliate Disclosure
Some links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue sharing helpful embroidery guides, creative inspiration, and handmade lifestyle content.
Some of my embroidery and handmade lifestyle photos are available for licensing on Adobe Stock.
Pin for Later








No comments:
Post a Comment