Sometimes a project begins with a very simple idea.
A little white yarn.
A crochet hook.
And a pattern that catches your eye.
That's exactly how this project started.
I crocheted a small white doily, and although it looks quite traditional at first glance, I have some rather unusual plans for it.
But you'll have to wait for the next post to see what I'm going to do with it.
Here's a little hint:
Autumn is involved.
A Simple Crochet Project
For this doily, I deliberately chose a yarn that isn't too thin.
I wanted the finished piece to have a little more body and texture rather than looking extremely delicate and lace-like.
I used white yarn, which makes the pattern especially easy to see.
And, of course, white was also a very practical choice for what I have planned next.
I'm not going to give everything away just yet.
Yarn & Hook
If you'd like to crochet a similar doily, a cotton yarn such as YarnArt Begonia would be a good option.
For this type of project, I would use approximately:
Yarn: YarnArt Begonia or similar cotton yarn
Crochet hook: 2–2.5 mm
Color: White
The exact amount of yarn will depend on the size of your doily and your crochet tension.
I like cotton for projects like this because it holds the stitches beautifully and gives the finished piece a nice, crisp look.
Why I Love Crocheting Doilies
Doilies have a slightly old-fashioned charm that I really enjoy.
They remind me of handmade things in my grandmother's home — carefully crocheted pieces that weren't simply decoration, but part of everyday life.
And although I don't always use them in the traditional way, I love taking an old-fashioned idea and giving it a completely different purpose.
Which brings me back to this particular doily.
It may look innocent now…
But it has plans.
Finding Autumn Inspiration for My Home
While I'm working on this little crochet project, I'm also starting to think about autumn decorating.
I have a soft spot for seasonal home decor, but I don't like changing everything in the house every few months.
I prefer small details that make a room feel different.
A warm-colored candle.
A woven basket.
A soft throw.
A little ceramic pumpkin.
A beautiful vase filled with dried branches.
Sometimes just one or two new pieces are enough to give a familiar corner a completely different feeling.
I've been browsing Amazon for autumn home decor and saving little things that inspire me — not necessarily because I need to buy them, but because I love seeing how different colors, textures, and materials work together.
I especially love the combination of warm neutrals, natural textures, cream, muted green, terracotta, and soft brown.
And this is actually where my little white crochet doily comes in.
I'm already imagining how something handmade and white could work with those warm autumn colors.
I won't reveal the finished idea just yet…
But let's just say that my autumn inspiration board is growing.
You can find some of my favorite autumn home decor and cozy finds in my Amazon Idea List
A Cozy Evening with The Durrells
There are some series that are simply nice to watch in the background while you're crocheting.
And then there are series that make you want to stop stitching for a moment and actually watch.
The Durrells is definitely the second kind.
Watch it on Amazon Prime Video → https://amzn.to/4wrVXzF
I love the atmosphere of it.
The beautiful scenery, the slightly chaotic family life, the humor, the warmth, and that feeling of being somewhere completely different for a little while.
It's also the perfect kind of series for a quiet evening with a crochet hook.
So these days, my little routine looks something like this:
A crochet project in my hands.
A cup of tea beside me.
And another episode of The Durrells playing in the background.
Not a bad way to spend an evening at all.
The Secret Project
I can't show you the finished idea yet.
For now, I'll just say that this little white doily is going to become part of my autumn decor.
I'm really curious to see how the finished project will turn out.
Sometimes the most interesting handmade projects are the ones where you don't quite know what the final result will look like when you begin.
So this is Part One.
The little white doily comes first.
The autumn transformation comes next.
Stay tuned.
The Pattern
I found the pattern for this crochet doily on Pinterest.
If you'd like to make one yourself, I've included the pattern inspiration below.
Crochet Supplies for This Project
YarnArt Begonia cotton yarn - https://amzn.to/4xCAmVb
2–2.5 mm crochet hook - https://amzn.to/4gxpeDi
Small yarn scissors - https://amzn.to/3ROnqfV
Stitch markers - https://amzn.to/4cI4fvd
You can find my favorite crochet supplies in my Amazon Idea List.
Final Thoughts
For now, I'm happy with this simple white doily.
It was a relaxing project, the pattern was enjoyable to crochet, and the cotton gives it a lovely texture.
But I'm even more excited about what comes next.
This little doily has a completely different life waiting for it.
And perhaps that's one of my favorite things about handmade projects.
You don't always have to know exactly where you're going.
Sometimes you simply make something because you like the pattern, the yarn, or the idea — and somewhere along the way, a completely different project begins to take shape.
So for now, I'm keeping the secret.
A little white crochet doily.
A few autumn ideas.
A cozy evening with The Durrells.
And a project waiting for its second chapter.
To be continued…
Affiliate Disclosure
Some links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue sharing helpful crochet guides and recommendations.
Some of my embroidery and handmade lifestyle photos are available for licensing on Adobe Stock







No comments:
Post a Comment