Some handmade projects begin with a plan.
Others begin with a very simple request — and then somehow turn into something completely different.
That is exactly what happened with these little baby headbands.
My First Order
This was actually my first time making a custom order for headbands with grosgrain ribbon bows.
A colleague of my husband's asked me to make a pretty red headband for her one-year-old daughter.
The request sounded simple:
A red headband.
But as soon as I started thinking about it, I decided that plain red was just a little too simple.
So I added some white.
And suddenly, I had a color combination I really liked.
📷 PHOTO #1: Red and white ribbons and materials
One Headband Became Two
Once I started working, I got completely carried away.
Instead of making just the one headband that had been requested, I made two different versions.
Because, honestly, why stop at one when you can try another idea? 😊
The first one had a little flower.
The second one had a ribbon bow.
And, of course, I immediately had a favorite.
Although I won't tell you which one.
![]() |
![]() |
The Flower Headband
For the first version, I wanted something sweet and delicate.
I used the red and white color combination and added a little flower as the main decoration.
It felt especially appropriate for a little girl — simple, cheerful, and just a bit romantic.
The Ribbon Bow
For the second version, I went with a classic ribbon bow.
There is something timeless about a bow on a little girl's headband.
It can be playful, elegant, simple, or festive depending on the colors and ribbons you choose.
And I really liked how the red and white looked together.
Materials I Used
These little headbands don't require a long list of supplies.
For this project I used:
grosgrain ribbon
decorative elements for the flower
a plain headband base
a hot glue gun and glue sticks
scissors
The best thing about projects like this is that you can experiment with color combinations and decorations without needing a complicated pattern.
A Little Handmade Lesson
What started as a simple request for one red headband turned into two completely different designs.
And I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy handmade projects so much.
You start with an idea.
Then you begin making it.
And somewhere along the way, another idea appears.
Sometimes the second idea is even better than the first.
Final Thoughts
It was my first request for this kind of handmade accessory, and it gave me the confidence to experiment with more colors, ribbons, and designs.
And, as usual, I learned an important lesson:
Never tell a crafter to make just one thing. 😊
There is always a very good chance that one will turn into two.
Or three.
Or perhaps an entire box of ribbon bows.
And honestly, I'm perfectly happy with that.
Shop the Supplies
If you'd like to make your own ribbon headbands, I've gathered some useful supplies for this type of project.
You can find the supplies for this project together in my Amazon Idea List.
Affiliate Disclosure
Some links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue sharing helpful embroidery guides, creative inspiration, and handmade lifestyle content.
Thank you for supporting my blog and allowing me to continue sharing embroidery, crochet, sewing, DIY projects, and handmade inspiration.
Some of my embroidery and handmade lifestyle photos are available for licensing on Adobe Stock.






Очень интересное решение с репсовыми лентами. Получилось оригинально!
ReplyDeleteСпасибо,Оля) В последнее время репсовые ленточки-моя слабость. Езжу за ними в Брест)
Deleteуже и на заказ делаешь) бииизнес XD
ReplyDeleteДа, с чего-то надо начинать)))
DeleteНаталья ))) Очень симпатично получилось))) Красный цвет очень гармонирует с белым))
ReplyDeleteСпасибо, Женя!!! Я такое сочетание очень люблю)
DeleteНаташа, привет!))
ReplyDeleteБантики классные! Нарядные! А повязочки тоже сама шила?
Привет, Люда)))
DeleteСпасибо! Первую повязочку-сеточку покупала. Вторую сама сшила.
Миленько)))
ReplyDeleteСпасибочки)
DeleteОчень стильно!!! Сочетание красного и белого, всегда супер!!!
ReplyDeleteСпасибо, Катя! Это, наверное, классика - красное и белое.
Delete